I made these sandwiches after deciding what to do with leftover chicken from the night before. My husband had just brought home a spicy BBQ sauce so I thought I would try a BBQ chicken sandwich. I found this apple slaw recipe and thought I had to add it! The slaw definitely makes this sandwich one of my favorites!
BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Apple Slaw
- leftover chicken, or grilled/baked chicken breast (shredded)
- BBQ sauce of your choice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 honeycrisp apple (or any tart apple)
- 2 cups broccoli, carrots, and purple cabbage, julienned (I usually buy the pre-made broccoli & carrot slaw from my grocery store) * You can really use any vegetable slaw you can find if you are going pre-made.
- salt & pepper
- Shred the chicken and mix it with enough BBQ sauce to coat the chicken and some extra to make it saucy. Warm the chicken and the sauce in a small pot.
- If you are not using pre-made veggie slaw, julienne the broccoli, carrots, and cabbage. Also, julienne the apple.
- Add the veggies, apple, dijon, white wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together
- Once the chicken is warmed through, start building your sandwich. Add the BBQ shredded chicken to the bun and top with the apple slaw.