Although this dish takes a bit of time in the oven, it is really easy to assemble and you don’t even have to pre-cook the pasta! Its a great twist on a simple pasta with red sauce recipe by adding fresh tomatoes!
Pasta alla Formiana
- Butter, for greasing dish
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) mezze penne or other small pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 very ripe, extra-large or beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Butter an 8 by 8-inch glass baking dish. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend together the crushed tomatoes and garlic. Pour into a medium bowl and add the uncooked pasta, 1/3 cup olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Toss until all the ingredients are coated.
- Line the bottom and sides of the baking dish with tomato slices. Pour the pasta mixture into the dish and spread evenly. Arrange the remaining tomato slices in an overlapping layer on top of the pasta mixture, making sure the mixture is completely covered.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Bake until the tomatoes are slightly crispy and the pasta is cooked, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.