After an impromptu waffle iron buy last night, we decided to make waffles this morning! This savory waffle is delicious with the mustard syrup! And the best part is, it is so easy to make!
Cheddar & Scallion Waffles with Mustard Syrup
Ingredients (Makes 4-6 waffles, or 1 Belgium waffle)
1 cup flour
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 of 1 stick of butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar (I used monterey jack)
3-4 tablespoons of scallions, chopped
1/2 cup syrup
1/8 cup dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
2. Whisk the milk, the cooled melted butter and 1 egg in a separate bowl until combined; pour into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. (A few small lumps are fine.)
3. Preheat a waffle iron; lightly brush with vegetable oil, then fill with batter three-quarters full and cook until the waffles are golden and crisp.
1. Combine the syrup, mustard and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. When the mixture begins to bubble, turn the heat to low. Stir until well combined.
3. Pour into a serving container and serve immediately.
Pour the syrup over the waffles to serve and enjoy!