Are you a fan of chicken parm? Then you have to try this recipe!
This recipe puts a new twist on chicken parm. Instead of using marinara sauce, it uses basil pesto! Mmm! Using the basil keeps this dish light, and if you make the pesto from scratch (super easy) it becomes that much more healthy!
Baked Basil Chicken Parm
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Basil Pesto
- 1/2 cup Low fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
2. Trim all visible fat and tendons from chicken pieces, then cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 2 or 3 pieces.
3. Spray a 9″ x 12″ (or 8.5″ X 12.5″) baking dish with non-stick spray, then spread 1/4 cup basil pesto over the bottom of the dish. Lay the chicken strips over the pesto, then spread 1/4 cup more basil pesto over the chicken.
4. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil (or use a baking dish with a tight-fitting lid) and bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes, just until chicken is barely firm and cooked through. (Don’t cook too much at this point, or the chicken will be overcooked by the time the cheese is melted and browned.)
5. When chicken is barely cooked through, remove foil and sprinkle chicken with 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or more!).
6. Put the dish back into the oven without foil and cook 5 minutes more, just until cheese is melted.
Recipe source: http://laurenconrad.com/blog/2013/11/baked-pesto-chicken/