I got a crockpot as a wedding present and haven’t done much with it yet. However, I found this recipe for a honey sesame chicken and thought it would be a good start!
Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- 3-4 Boneless/Skinless Chicken breasts
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 C honey
- 1/2 C low sodium soy sauce
- Approx. 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 C water
- 3 scallions- chopped
- sesame seeds
- Lightly season chicken with pepper and place in crockpot
- Combine onion, garlic, honey, soy sauce, oil, and pepper over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours
- After about 4 hours I added in some water to the crock pot and after 6 just turned it to the “warm” setting
- Remove chicken and shred into bite-size pieces (here you can either set aside or put back into the sauce). You can shred the chicken with a fork, or I have seen it done in a kitchen aid too just keep the speed to semi-low.
- Prepare quinoa according to directions on package
- Serve quinoa onto plates, top with chicken and spoon sauce on top.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and the chopped scallions over the top
Now as you might know by now, my husband likes things spicy. If you like it spicy I would add 1 tbsp of hot sauce or chili sauce into the crock pot so it absorbs in the whole dish. Or you can always taste the sauce before you serve it and add in your hot sauce then.
I got this recipe on a fitness website so I knew it would be healthy. The author pairs this recipe with a workout routine so you can find the original workout and recipe here: http://fitandbusy.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/arms-and-crockpot-honey-sesame-chicken/